Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Bad Memory (That I Can't Forget)

Does anyone else have a brain that you can trick into misremembering something?

I told my wife some of the answers I gave a doctor today about our son Alex, which included some facts about his gestation and birth. My wife interrupted me, "Wrong kid. That was Cassie." I tried to explain, "I know your pregnancy with Cassie was like that, but wasn't it--?" "No. Not at all."

I'm giving Annette the benefit of the doubt because:

  • She seems so confident about it.
  • I mean, yeah--I was there, but she was really there.
  • One carved-in-stone fact about our marriage is that if I remember something one way and she remembers it another, she's right.

That last point is not any kind of a passivey-aggressivey whine; I truly believe that she has a better memory than I.

But even though I believe she knows what she's talking about in this case, I can still "remember" images, conversations, and other corroborating evidence that backs up my story.

Even though I know it has all been fabricated. By me.

No comments:

Post a Comment