Friday, July 27, 2012

"Hobbits. HOBBITS!"

I was in downtown Iowa City, walking to my car after visiting a local merchant. (The comic book guy, if you must know.) I was wearing my t-shirt that proclaims, "Hobbits are Tolkien Minorities". Every now and then, I get a smile and a comment from someone who actually understands and appreciates the reference.

On this day, however, I got a comment from a college student-looking guy on a bike, and he may or may not have been a little buzzed. Or perhaps baked. First, he said, "Hobbits." His tone was something like, "Hey, cool t-shirt. I understand and appreciate the reference."

But then he followed it up with the same word, spoken louder and more urgently: "HOBBITS!" It sounded this time like he was pointing me out to an unseen pursuer as if to say, "I've found them; here they are!"

For the rest of the trip home, I kept a sharp eye peeled for Uruk-hai.

No comments:

Post a Comment